The Best Strawberry Pie Recipe
The best homemade strawberry pie recipe made from fresh or frozen strawberries.
Easy step-by-step instructions for making a delicious strawberry pie at home.
Design Your Own Vegetable Garden Layout Using our Free "Vegetable Garden Planner" Software!
Reducing the juices of the strawberries is what gives this filling concentrated strawberry flavor.
Fresh whole or sliced strawberries make a tasty topping to this coveted strawberry pie dish.
Download Free Garden Planning Worksheets, Garden Diary, Zone Chart, Or Planting Guide
Vanilla or chocolate crumb crust for a 9 inch pie*
5 cups of fresh, frozen whole strawberries with no added sugar*
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons gelatin
½ cup heavy cream
8 tablespoons sugar
1 large egg white
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
7 additional cups of fresh strawberries for topping*
1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
- Press pie crust in pan and chill it.
- Fresh berries must be frozen for at least 48 hours and thawed to release their juices.
- Rinse, hull, dry, and slice strawberries.
Homemade Strawberry Pie Recipe Filling
- Thaw the strawberries completely in a colander suspended over a
deep bowl the night before in the refrigerator or several hours ahead at
- Press on the berries several times to force out a total of 1 ¼ cups of juice.
- Reserve the berries and the juices separately.
- Boil the strawberry juice in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently, until it is reduced to ¼ cup.
- In a food processor, puree the strawberries for about 30 seconds until smooth, transfer liquid to a bowl.
- Stir in the reduced strawberry juice and the lemon juice.
- Chill the puree at least 30 minutes.
- Place the water in a small custard cup and sprinkle the gelatin over it.
- Allow it to soften for 5 minutes.
- In a chilled bowl, beat the heavy cream with 2 tablespoons of the sugar until soft peaks form when the beater is raised.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat the egg white until foamy.
- Gradually add 2 tablespoons of sugar, until soft peaks form when the beater is raised slowly.
- Gradually beat in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Continue beating on high speed until stiff peaks form when the beater is raised.
- Heat the gelatin mixture in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Whisking constantly, add the hot gelatin mixture to the cold strawberry puree.
- Continuing with the whisk, fold in first the egg white, then the whipped cream.
- Finish by using a rubber spatula to reach down to the bottom of the bowl where the heavier puree settles.
- Pour the strawberry filling at once into the prepared pie crust.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes until the surface sets before adding the fresh strawberry topping.
- The filling must set 4 hours before serving.
Strawberry Pie Recipe Topping
How to Make Strawberry Pie Topping
- Make the strawberry topping at least 2 hours and up to 6 hours before serving.
- Gently stir together the sliced strawberries and sugar.
- Cover and allow it to sit for 1 hour at room temperature or up to 5 hours in the refrigerator.
- Place the strawberries in a strainer suspended over a saucepan and allow them to stand for 30 minutes to drain all the syrup.
- Stir the berries gently with a rubber spatula several times.
Set the strawberries aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, boil the syrup.
- Stir often, until it is reduced to 1/3 cup.
- Stir the cornstarch into the reduced strawberry syrup and cook over medium heat until clear and thickened.
- Simmer for about 30 seconds after reaching a boil.
- Remove the thickened syrup from the heat and set aside.
- Arrange the berries evenly over the strawberry filling, placing as many of the bright red end pieces skin side up as possible.
- Brush over strawberries with the thickened syrup.
- Refrigerate until shortly before serving.
- Serve this homemade strawberry pie recipe with sweetened whip cream.
Back To Top
Strawberry Pie Recipe to Vegetable Gardening
Strawberry Pie Recipe to Growing Strawberries